For quite some time now, the latest version of the Oracle Database certified with Oracle E-Business Suite has been 12cR1 (220.127.116.11). Since then new versions of the database have been released – 12cR2, 18c and 19c – but E-Business Suite customers have been unable to upgrade to these versions and take advantage of new features and enhancements, including the flagship “Pluggable Databases” option.
The 12cR1 version of the database went out of Premier Support in July 2018, and while Oracle announced a waiver for Oracle Extended Database Support until December 2020 for E-Business Suite customers who had no choice but to stay on this version, it was nevertheless not an ideal situation.
The 12cR1 version of the database went out of Premier Support in July 2018, and while Oracle announced a waiver for Extended Support until December 2020 for Oracle E-Business Suite customers who had no choice but to stay on this version, it was nevertheless not an ideal situation
Oracle’s Continuous Innovation model for E-Business Suite 12.2 means that Premier Support for the application will continue until at least 2030. Premier Support for the 19c database lasts until March 2023.
- 12.2 E-Business Suite customers. If you are on 12.2 already, your application is supported until Dec 2030 and your database until Dec 2020. Upgrade your database to 19c to extend that date to March 2023.
- 12.1 E-Business Suite customers. Your application is supported until Dec 2021 and your database until Dec 2020. Upgrading to 12.2/19c will extend those dates by 9 years and 3 years respectively.
2021 is the key year for E-Business Suite support customers! Upgrading to 12.2 application plus 19c database by then future-proofs the system well into the next decade.
Database New Features
Jumping from Oracle Database 12cR1 (released 2013) to 19c (released 2019) as you would expect brings a wealth of new features and product enhancements that E-Business Suite 12.2 customers can now take advantage of:
12.1 customers upgrading to 12.2/19c or 12.2 customers upgrading their database will be able to make use of six years’ worth of changes and improvements to all aspects of the Oracle database, from performance to security to availability and much more.
Caveats and Restrictions
At the time of writing, there were a few restrictions with E-Business Suite 12.2 and 19c:
- A Container Database (CDB) with one Pluggable Database (PDB, single-tenant) is currently the only certified deployment for Oracle E-Business Suite with Database 19c.
- Supported only on Linux7 x84-64 and Oracle Solaris 11.3 or later – AIX, AP and Microsoft platforms are pending certification.
- A number of database features are pending certification. This includes Data Guard.
See these Oracle blogs for more details:
Choosing the right Managed Services Provider
If you are looking for an Oracle partner who can help you with your technology investment, goes about it the right way and can back up the talk, then contact us. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on +44 (0) 1483 549314.